Sunday, February 13, 2011

Tracks In The Drainage

Not just ski tracks. Last week as I was skiing the approach to some glades I came across these tracks. At first I thought they were coyote or fox but then I cut some more tracks that looked like a bobcat.  The dog tracks ran parallel with the ski trail while the cat tracks criss-crossed the trail.  They're tracks never crossed even though they were in the same area.
Bobcat Tracks

Off into the woods...

Coyote or Fox?

Dinner got away?

Whitetail winter run.

Updated 3/30/11 :  I read this from the Adirondack Almanac 
http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2011/03/phil-brown-questions-about-adirondack.html
Comment by Joe H., "In fact, wolves commonly use roads for easy travel and to prey on edge-adapted, whitetail deer. However, Radio-telemetry studies in Arizona and Utah, indicate that cougars actually avoid roads whenever possible, either paved or dirt."
I find it very interesting that the same behavior is supported here, but involved coyotes and bobcats on an infrequently used trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment