Saturday, April 16, 2011

Boat Hiking in the Drainage


Here is a day of hiking in the Adirondacks with my kayak...

CountyLine creek is on the Warren/Hamilton County line... hence the name.  It's about a two mile hike in to the lower falls. From here it's a pretty continuous whitewater paddle back out to the East Branch of the Sacandaga River. There are multiple mini-gorges and a few places that must be avoided. The first is easy to recognize as there is a pinning slot river right of the first drop.

Further downstream there is a very nasty sieve and the current will take you into it if you are not paddling to stay on line. I found this the hard way a few years ago while paddling my Thrillseeker (Ducky). Fortunately being in the ducky I was able to scramble up onto a large boulder and pull the boat out.

There is always the potential for wood to collect and poses the threat for snags and strainers. This day was like many, and I spent about two hours cutting out strainers and moving some logs.

This year I have been wearing a pair of NRS Boundary Boots and they have worked out great.  Two days of hiking into creeks through mud and snow and no leaks, warm feet at the get-in.  I would like to see a better adjustment at the top of the boot. They run about a half size small.
Link> NRS Boundary Boots

I have been a loyal fan of Seals Spraydecks for decades (well before they were Seals, Hydroponics, JAG Manufacturing). I have been using the Surf 1.4 shock cord deck.  It goes on easy and stays on. It's important to me for the spraydeck to go on easy because many times I'm getting in my boat in difficult spots. Cold weather makes it that much more challenging.

Rain is predicted for tonight and the drainage could use a little bit more water.  SYOTR!

youtube link>CountyLine Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment